A400 Conversion to an Infrared Only Digicam
October 4TH, 2009
I bought a
Canon A400, because I had hopes that its CCD would be as easy
to modify for IR, as the other canons I had modified. This camera
seemed relatively straightforward to modify, but it actually involved
a little soldering, and for this camera I had to glue the new
fake filter into place. Most of the other cameras you can just
set the new glass in place. Over all, I am quite pleased with
the results, as this camera approaches 3.3 megapixels, so there
is a lot to work with. Original retail price of around $180. Read
the review of this camera on DC
Resource, the BEST site for digital camera reviews.
with, here's a few shots of the outside of the camera.
first step is to remove all the screws on the camera body.
There are zero screws on the top. Three screws on the bottom.
There is one screw hidden behind the Digital A/V port on
the back, and three screws in the battery door.
the screws have been removed, use a small screwdriver to
pry open the camera body. It will split in two down the
top and bottom of the camera. Its a pretty compact little
the body is removed, the front of the camera will look more
or less like this.
back will look more or less like this. Notice the LCD screen,
and button tabs on the circuit board.
need to disconnect the circuit board from the top of the
camera in order to get to the CCD. There is one solder point.
You will need to heat up a soldering iron to loosen the
solder, then pull the wire out. You can then slide the LCD
screen back and get to the CCD screws.
image shows the wire removed from its solder point.
do not need to remove the LCD, it can remain connected by
the ribbon cable. Just move it out of the way so you can
get to the CCD.
the screws to get to the CCD. This can be annoying, because
each screw as a gold washer like ring around the screw hole.
They are easily lost, and breathing on them can cause them
to move around. The IR filter is VERY thin. Much thinner
than the microscope glass I usually use to replace the filter
I ended up doing was cutting a small piece of that hard
clear plastic that electronics some time come in from the
store. The hard clear plastic that is a royal pain to cut
through when you are trying to open up say, a new pair of
head phones? I took a small piece of that, and a piece of
exposed negative. Then I glued them into place, and let
it sit over night.
important not to get any thumb prints on the CCD. Also,
try not to let any dust or hair into the CCD/Filter area.
I kind of kept the whole camera in a box while I let the
glue dry, as I was afraid of sealing the CCD back up and
screwing it in with glue fumes in the CCD area.
it sit overnight, then screwed it back together, re-soldered
the wires back together and then screwed the camera body
back on. Yeah, its that easy. ;)
Here are some
sample photos I took with the Canon A400.
look carefully, you can see a dark kind of streak through
the left side of this photo. That means that I have an issue
with my home made filter. Its not perfect, but doesn't always
show up as obvious.